Sufi dance by Rana Gorgani
During one of Rana’s Sufi Dance workshop that I’ve attend as a photographer, I’ve been observing the participant practicing Sufi whirling and getting themselves reaching the point to trust themselves, to find balance while turning. As I’ve mentioned it on the previous post about Sufi whirling the most important is not to just come and spin. It’s how you reach that level of meditation.
The first hour of the workshop is about working about your relaxation, your breath focusing on yourself, eyes closed. Then starting to roam around feet naked on the floor of the Micadanses studio. Exploring the space, finding the other participants by following the sound of their deep breath. All under the rhtyme of Moncef’s music note and Rana’s beats.
After an hour of meditation the participant started to whirl accompanied with some music played just loud enough to make your body swirl. Spinning around counter clockwise symbolically like the planets in the solar system orbiting the sun. Trying to reach perfection as the the Sufi Dervishes of the Mevlevi order are practicing it. Abandoning ego’s and personal desires focusing on the steps turning in circles. This practice has been opened to dancers outside the Islamic world.
Since few months I’m working about movement, body gestures through the “YogaGraphy” project or “Trans n Dance“. For me photography is about to freeze one particular moment. I’ve always been impressed of how we move how we are and especially about at a specific moment when you catch a moment on a picture.
Sufi dance by Rana Gorgani – Trans’n’Dance Project
- Pictures of the Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 15th April 2019
- The 2019 Algerian protest in Paris – HIrak 10th April 2019
- Hirak – الحراك | The Algerian protests 7th April 2019
- An evening at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées 19th February 2019
- Events and conventions photography 25th October 2018
- Tesla model 3 at the Paris Motor Show 6th October 2018
- Wedding photographer in Aix-en-Provence 30th September 2018
- Wedding photographer in Burgundy 11th September 2018
- YogaGraphy with Anne Francin 3rd September 2018
- Street photography à la Goutte d’Or 10th August 2018
Abonnez-vous à ce blog par e-mail.
All images on this website are the sole intellectual property of Mahdi Aridj Photography.
The copyright for any material created by Mahdi Aridj Photography is reserved. None of the images on this site may be reproduced or otherwise used in any way without the express permission of Mahdi Aridj Photography.
The provision of any e-mail address, name or other personal data is voluntary. Such data will be used by Mahdi Aridj Photography for the sole purpose of responding to your inquiry. If you want us to delete or to send you all the information that we’re collecting write us via the contact form below.